Friday 24 March 2017

Character Certificate



When we rode on the bus for Dehradun, unaware of the things which would bother us soon.
I am a teacher and teach in a constituent college of a prestigious central university and my wife teaches in an affiliated college of a state university in U.P. Now a day admission is the most important event in Indian education system. Even getting admission is a dream for students, where I teach. That way people are jealous of us and we feel lucky.
The years from 2000 to 2010 were very critical to us. Those were the years when our children were appearing for high schools, intermediate and admission to professional courses. In 2009 my son got admission in a very prestigious university in Dehradun, Uttranchal, and in a very good professional course.
Those were the days when infamous raging case happened in which a medical student Aman Kachroo died due to ragging. Aman Kachroo, 19, was a student of the Rajendra Prasad Medical College and Hospital at Tanda town in Kangra district since 2007. He died on March 8, 2009, after he was ragged by his four drunken seniors.
After this unfortunate incidents media, NGOs, human right groups and activists, civil society activists etc. created a big furore and a sense of fear and panic was created in the educational institutions. The senior students were treated by the authorities like ‘sleeper cells’ of jihadi or Naxal terror groups.
Due to this fear, the authorities asked to submit character certificate, an affidavit from the parents and character certificate from the area police station, in which my son lives or we live permanently. The character certificate, I got from the school very easily and similarly, an affidavit, I submitted, taking full responsibility for my son’s conduct.
But the character certificate from the area police station gave us many sleepless nights. First, nobody in the police station talked with me properly, nor did anybody guide me rightly. After so many visits to the police station and area police chowki, I met a lawyer and the lawyer guided me rightly.
By the help of the lawyer, I applied at the local Sub Divisional Magistrate’s office for my son’s character certificate, after completing all the formalities and submitting all the necessary documents.
Few days after this, an officer from the state vigilance department came to our house to enquire about his character. I served him very well, as is the practice in this nation. After few days of his visit, again an officer from the local intelligence department visited our house, to enquire about his character. Again, I served him very well, as the set practice in this nation. I was taken aback and shocked on such formalities. In this country, even terrorists and Bangladeshi intruders get all the inquiries done very easily but a lawful citizen has been facing so much of harassment.
After a few months of all this, again university authorities demanded character certificate. By the help of the lawyer, I enquired the status of my application in the S.D.M. office. There, I was told that you had to submit the details of his character of that period before you shifted to your present residence.
When we shifted to our present residence, his age was around six years. So, from the day of his birth up to six years of his age, we had to submit his character details. What a big joke? I kept on running from one office to another but I did not get the required character certificate. Even some people laughed at me that now in this nation, even an infant needed a character certificate.
“Who told you that an infant does not need a character certificate?” The babu tilts his head---But it is the order of Indian Babu. Nobody has the right to question the Indian Babu. Baba Ambedkar has given him the right to harass and exploit the citizens.
This babu-dom is like a large patch of barren land in the middle of green pastures. Even before one enters inside, everything refreshing, something kind in the heart goes to flames.
It is exhausting to follow rules dictated by big parcel guidebook, drafted by Baba Ambedkar but was determined to be the ideal father and create a perfect example for my son to look up to.
My son passed the BBA.LLB (H), getting good marks. Now he is a practicing lawyer. I am still waiting for the character certificate.
This is Indian bureaucracy. No accountability, no feedback and no success ratio, no targets, no achievements and no parameter. If the nation wants to progress, this non-performing bureaucracy must be reformed.
If such babus are made in charges of educational institutions, then the son will take admission and grandson will appear in exam and great grandson will get the degree.
My wounded soul be unforgiven,
For a wild sin, it will ne’er mine,
And I shall be damned, O Love, and my son
And tossed from Joy’s tall parapet…
Nation’s outlawed laws shall pine for no- pardon.



Note: This is a true story. Only names and places have not been mentioned








No comments:

Post a Comment